Here’s our latest edition to add to KB’s – #TheLockdownStories. We asked Bloco family how they’re feeling being in doors 24-7? What they’ve been doing? And the pros and the cons of #TheLockdown life. Why? It’s good to share!

Today, we hear from Daniyah. Daniyah was a member of DRUM SQUAD!!! And is now a Uni graduate! CONGRATULATIONS!! Part of what makes the Bloco a cool place, is people like Daniyah! Even as a participant, she’s always up for helping people. Music may not be her main thing, but that did not matter. Always there, always helping and supportive of other members. Like a proper big sis – super positive, intelligent  and kind! Plus, she’s actually really cool and creative! Check out the garms!

During the lockdown, Daniyah had been making the most of arts and crafts time. PLUS, finding time for herself.

Let Daniyah take you through her experience so far

Name: Daniyah

Bloco section: Drum squad

What have you been up to during lockdown? Building places I love from cardboard  boxes and bits and bobs around the house! I’ve made a beach and playground so far.  I’ve also been gardening, painting, exercising, reading and part home-schooling my younger siblings which has been…. interesting

How are you feeling? 95% of the time I feel good! The other 5% I feel a bit down or frustrated but practicing gratefulness and understanding that every day brings new lessons and joy, really helps puts things in perspective.

How do you feel about your music being off for now? It’s weird. I went down to Southbank centre last week just to see the atmosphere (rebellious I know, won’t do it again during lockdown) and it felt so empty and sad. Looking forward to hearing the KB tunes floating through the air! I miss it so much. I’m listening to Fela Kuti and a few KB bops A LOT more now.

What are you finding difficult? Space. I need my mental and physical space to function properly, so it has been a very testing time with everyone at home. But finding “me time” every day and going for the daily walk has helped, whilst allowing me to find new places in my local area that I had never seen before.

One thing that wold make anyone smile if they were feeling down right now: Allow yourself to feel the emotion and break down why you feel like that. Never ignore it. Look at the cycles of life that nature goes through as your guide and TREAT YO’SELFFF!!

Daniyah (Late May/June)

Sign up to our Newsletter to get regular updates on what we’re up to – head to the top right corner of this page  for the all important link to sign up.